Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Art statement for my final project

June is a time of rainy season in Japan but "June bride" is very popular too.
The research shows that Japanese people are now more having wedding in a Catholic way.
Catholic way wedding's been getting to become more a contemporary, non-denominational, casual and kid-friendly church made up with people from all walks of life.

Today, the most popular wedding is at a chapel and there is a data showing 70% of couples choose a wedding in Catholic way rather than wedding at a shrine in Japanese way. The popularity of Christians in Japan is only 1% and I am the one who wants to have a wedding in a catholic way too. But apparently Japanese women long for the wedding with hymn, beautiful white dress, flower shower, and so forth. The influence of movies and dramas could be strong. The admiration for western culture that Japanese people have would be more and more increased.

The reason why I forcused on Japanese Catholic style wedding was from the experience I attended my relative's Japanese traditional wedding recently. I've seen lots of western style wedding (catholic) on media as drama, movie, magazine etc... but it's getting to be more rare to see Japanese style wedding and I was wondering what aspects of catholic style wedding attract Japanese people so much.

I'm going to interview the couple who had a catholic style wedding at the chapel in Japan and the wedding planner who is working at a chapel. Also I'm going to research the numbers of those who want to have a catholic style wedding interviewing in public.

My project would be looked like a memorial album. Opening up with pictures of marriage couples, chapels, etc...a short summary of history and the interview segments would be in middle, and future wedding situation we might be going to have as my opinion concludes.

1 comment:

sampler said...

Great project idea!
Ask them if the event is just 'Cosplay' or will they mean the prayers and hope the blessings of the priest are real.